1. (a) in these terms and conditions: ‘Vehicle’ means the vehicle detailed in the Rental Agreement. ‘Rental Agreement’ means the Rental Agreement signed by you which incorporates these Terms and Conditions
1. (b) All current tariffs, rates and insurance policies referred to in the Rental Agreement and herein may be inspected at our offices.
2. If you have indicated in the Rental Agreement that you want us to provide insurance cover for the Vehicle and/or Additional Insurance then the following terms will apply:
(a) The Rental Agreement is subject to, and includes, all the terms of our insurance policies.
(b) The Vehicle may only be driven by the following people:
(c) You remain liable for any excess payable under the insurance policy unless any additional fees have been paid to reduce the excess.
(d) If you or anyone on your behalf deliberately causes damage to or loss of the Vehicle, then you will have to pay the cost of repair or replacement of the Vehicle.
(e) Our insurance may not cover you for damage caused by negligence or other fault by yourself or any additional driver. In such instances you will be liable for the costs of returning the Vehicle to its original condition including, but not limited to, damage to the roof due to a failure to observe overhead height limitations and incorrect fuel usage.
3. If you have indicated in the Rental Agreement that you want to provide your own insurance for the Vehicle then the following terms will apply:
(a) It is your responsibility to insure the vehicle from the moment you take it until the time that it is returned to us. You must insure it to its full value, against loss or damage (including windscreen damage) by accident, fire or theft, under a comprehensive insurance policy with a reputable insurance company. You must supply us with full details whenever we ask for them, and you must tell the insurance company to note our interest in the policy.
(b) You hereby authorise your insurer to communicate directly with us and give us any information we require. You also authorise us to take over any claim which you may have which relates to the Vehicle, and to negotiate and settle that directly with your insurer.
(c) You must not use or permit the Vehicle to be used in breach of the insurance policy.
(d) If any money is paid out under the policy which relates to the Vehicle then you must ensure that the money is paid direct to us. If you receive any money relating to the Vehicle then you must pay it to us.
(e) If you do not insure the Vehicle comprehensively, and we suffer loss as a result, you must compensate us for that loss in full.
(f) If for any reason the amount which we receive from the insurance company is less than the loss that we suffer you must pay us the difference.
(g) You agree to pay on demand and indemnify us against all bodywork damage (both internal and external), loss of use and expenses we incur subject to a maximum value of £3,000 unless payment has already been made by your insurer.
4. Any person signing this agreement on behalf of a company must be authorised to do so, and if not so authorised will be personally liable to pay all sums due under this agreement to the extent that the company fails to pay them.
5. The maximum period for which you are allowed to keep the vehicle under the Rental Agreement is from the ‘Date Out’ until the date ‘Due In’ referred to in the Rental Agreement. However:
(a) We are entitled to terminate this agreement if you break any of its terms, and you must then return the Vehicle immediately.
(b) We are entitled to call for the return of the Vehicle earlier than the date ‘Due In’ shown on the Rental Agreement, even if you have not broken any of the terms of the Rental Agreement, but we must then provide you with a comparable vehicle.
(c) In the event of our agreeing an extension of the ‘Due In’ date referred to in the Rental Agreement, the maximum period for which you can hire the vehicle is 90 days. The Vehicle must be returned to us within 90 days of the ‘Due Out’ date shown on the Rental Agreement regardless of whether the ‘Due In’ date has been extended beyond 90 days from the ‘Due Out’ date.
(d) The Vehicle should be returned during our normal business hours on or before the Due In date and time shown on the Rental Agreement. If you return the Vehicle outside of our normal business hours you remain liable for the Vehicle (including its insurance where you have elected to insure the Vehicle yourself) and any damage caused to it until the Vehicle has been checked by us.
6. If you keep the vehicle beyond the date and time ‘Due In’ (or after we have required its return, as above) then, in addition to any claim for compensation which we may bring, you will also have to pay charges in accordance with our current tariff which may from time to time be in force.
7. This means:
(a) All hires, whether booked online, in person or via telephone are for collection from one of our offices unless otherwise stated.
(b) The customer can elect the office of choice for collection.
(c) Amendments to the collection office can be made via the phone to our head office on 01273 977017, as covered by our amendment terms.
8. We are not liable to you for any loss of or damage to any property which is carried in The Vehicle, and we do not accept responsibility for any property which you leave in the vehicle when you return it, unless we have been negligent. If any third party brings a claim against us for property which is carried or left in the Vehicle, you must indemnify us for that claim.
9. The vehicle must not:
(a) Be taken outside England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland or any British Isle on which the hiring commenced, without our prior written permission.
(b) Be used other than on a public highway or a suitably paved area which is designed to carry motor vehicles.
(c) Be used to propel or tow any other vehicle or trailer, unless it is equipped for the purpose and we have given our permission.
(d) Be used to carry passengers for hire or reward or for any driving tuition, unless you obtain our prior written permission and you must provide your own insurance under clause 3.
(e) Be used for any unlawful purpose, or for racing, pace making, competitions or speed testing, nor must it be used in any unlawful manner.
(f) Be used in such a manner that it is overloaded (whether in total or in respect of any axle or any other part) or is carrying more passengers or goods than it was designed to carry or may lawfully carry.
(g) Be used in such a way as to make the insurance on the Vehicle invalid.
(h) Be used in breach of the Road Traffic legislation or the Construction and Use Regulations.
(i) Be used by any person who is not licensed and insured for it.
(j) Be used by any person who is under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
(k) Be used in the event of any mechanical, electrical or structural failure or damage, if further damage would be caused as a result.
(l) Be altered or added to in any way whatsoever.
10. You are not allowed to carry out any repairs (or let anyone else do so) if the cost of those repairs is more than £25, unless you get our written permission first. If we do authorise any repairs then we will refund the cost to you if you produce a VAT receipt and the parts you have replaced.
11. (a) If you break any of the terms of the Rental Agreement we are entitled to treat the Rental Agreement as terminated and to repossess the vehicle. You hereby authorise us to enter on your property to do so if necessary.
11. (b) We may terminate this agreement if you are judged in any way to be insolvent.
12. The conditions are:
(a) The Customer may amend or cancel any reservation by telephone to our head office on 01273 977017, quoting their reference number. Lines are open weekdays 08.00-1730 and Saturday 08.00-12.00
(b) Any reservation can be cancelled with no charge given that notification is provided to us no less than 2 working hours in advance of the hire commencement.
(c) Any reservation can be amended with no charge given that notification is provided to us no less than 2 working hours in advance of the hire commencement.
(d) Cancellations received after the scheduled commencement of the hire will be charged at the rate of 1 days hire for the vehicle selected.
(e) All rentals are subject to the terms and conditions of the Euro Self Drive Ltd Rental Agreement.
12. You are liable for certain charges as if you were the owner of the Vehicle. Those charges are:
(a) Any fixed penalty offence for speeding or other infraction committed in a jurisdiction which the Vehicle is being used.
(b) Any excess charge or parking ticked incurred in relation to the Vehicle during the period of the Rental Agreement’
(c) Any financial penalty or charge which may be demanded by a third party as a result of the Vehicle having been parked or left upon land which is not a public road.
13. You must:
(a) Pay the hiring charges published in our current tariff unless different charges have been agreed between us in writing.
(b) Pay for all fuel and any refuelling charge.
(c) Pay for any accessories, tyres, tools or equipment which are lost, stolen or damaged.
(d) Pay our costs of recovering the vehicle in the event that you fail to return it to us as required by (j) below.
(e) Pay any penalties, fines and court costs (regardless of where they were issued or jurisdiction) incurred in the use of the Vehicle before it is returned to us.
(f) Safeguard our interests in the event of any accident involving the vehicle, by obtaining the names and addresses of all relevant drivers and witnesses, details including registration numbers of any other vehicles involved, securing the Vehicle and, where appropriate, notifying the police.
(g) Ensure that the correct tyre pressures, engine oil level, battery fluid level, screen wash level, coolant level and automatic transmission oil level (where fitted) are maintained throughout the period of hire.
(h) Ensure that the vehicle is always locked when unattended, and take all reasonable steps to prevent loss of or damage to the Vehicle, or its tyres, tools, accessories, equipment or contents.
(i) Inform us immediately if the Vehicle is damaged, lost or stolen, or develops any fault or requires any servicing, and allow us to carry out essential repairs or servicing.
(j) Return the vehicle (together with all its accessories, tyres, tools and equipment) to our representative at the place where it was hired (unless a different place is agreed) during our business hours, at or before the date ‘Due In’ shown on the Rental Agreement or earlier if we require it. The Vehicle must, when you return it, be in the same condition as when you hired it (fair wear and tear excepted), and must be clean and tidy (normal traffic grime excepted).
(k) Pay for and indemnify us against all costs incurred in recovering the Vehicle in the event of seizure by local, European or international transport authorities.
(l) Ensure that the Vehicle is used within the relevant legal requirements for any relevant operator licenses (where applicable).
(m) Ensure that the Vehicle is compliant with any requirements of the Transport Act 1985, Local Transport Act 2008 and any other relevant legislation when the Vehicle is used for any purposes permitted by a permit or other authority pursuant to the relevant legislation.